S1 Elise – Front Ball Joint Replacement

The brake caliper needs to come off first, starting with the clamp for the brake hose.

IMG_5659

Then the two caliper bolts.

IMG_5661

With the disc off too next was the disc shield. As expected, the bolts were not keen on coming out. After cutting a slot in the head of the bolts I used my drill on a low torque screw driver setting to start with slowly increasing the torque. This had the same action as an impact wrench and slowly worked the bolt loose without making a mess of the head.

IMG_5671

The slotted head I cut in with a hacksaw.

IMG_5668

Took a while but got it off in the end.

IMG_5672

Next removing the ball joint plinth from the hub carrier/upright.

IMG_5673

IMG_5674

A bit of assistance to split the two.

IMG_5675

This tool is perfect for this. No need to try holding on to the plinth while also trying to turn the nut that is now stupidly tight etc etc. This just buzzes it off with no fuss! Well worth the Β£140 it cost especially when it comes to doing 8 of them.

IMG_5676

Trusty old ball joint splitter on. I always leave the nut on the joint threaded about 3/4 on as it really helps locate the splitter and stops it sliding off.

IMG_5678

The ball joint boot was not in a great state.

IMG_5679

It had clearly let water in, hence the rusty brown colour of the ball and it’s eventual failure.

IMG_5684

I got one of the ball joint tools from Elise Parts as having the right tool for the job is usually the best way of doing anything and it’s inexpensive. Glad I got it as it made easy work of pressing the old joint out and new one in.

IMG_5689

Pressing out the old ball joint.

IMG_5690

IMG_5691

There it goes.

IMG_5693

Cleaned up ready for the new ball joint.

IMG_5695

Pressing the new joint in with a little bit of copper grease on the surfaces.

IMG_5698

IMG_5699

Plinth and hub carrier faces cleaned up ready for reassembly.

IMG_5696

IMG_5697

New additions to my consumables about to get some use.

IMG_5703

IMG_5701

Threadlock on the bolts.

IMG_5702

Messy. I added a little corrosion block grease to the head ends of the bolts after screwing them in. This way it won’t have got on to the part of the thread that has thread lock on it but will help prevent moisture getting in.

IMG_5704

There is a chance I used too much Duralac. πŸ˜€

IMG_5705

Going back together.

IMG_5706

Done

IMG_5708

IMG_5707

Well that’s another little job ticked off and I’m getting to know the Elise. I quite like it’s modular design and how it goes together.

Torque values for this job:

Ball Joint Plinth to Hub Carrier Bolts – 45Nm
Ball Joint to Plinth Nut – 55Nm
Brake Caliper to Hub Carrier Bolts – 45Nm