work on the garage finally starts

A bit nervous now as it’s being built meaning we finally find out if my drawings were right.

Had a few sleepless nights worrying about a few things as the build has progressed.

When we got a start date the Mini got a clean and was parked in the back corner and covered up. I fitted a temporary partition wall to keep it and my tools safe. I got lucky and got all the wood for free as we’d just taken delivery, at work, of a new telescope dome from the states and the wooden crate needed getting rid of.

IMAG5860

IMAG5876

IMAG5877

IMAG5882

IMAG5892

IMAG5891

 

IMAG5889

 

Doors removed ready for the destruction to start

IMAG5927

 

I spent ages looking for a decent brick match. Eventually a guy from Parkers came up with the bestΒ option.

IMAG5893

 

Unfortunately, when we came to buy 4 pallets of them form Parkers the price worked out at a lot more than we’d estimated because they wouldn’t split pallets and wanted Β£250 delivery! My wife (Jem) came to the rescue after finding some on ebay. We checked our quantities and decided we could get away with ordering 1 pallet less if we saved some of the old bricks too.

So we chipped mortar off over 200 bricks.

IMAG5937

IMAG5938

IMAG5940

IMAG5941

IMAG5942

IMAG5967

 

A digger, yay!

IMAG5947

 

Concrete broken up. This took the guys some time, it was proper hard.

IMAG5948

IMAG5952

 

Footings being dug

IMAG5960

IMAG5965

IMAG5966

IMAG5968

 

Quick check that it’s deep enough for building control to be happy.

IMAG5981

 

A happy Jem. Happy cos her special Mini parking space will soon be ready.

IMAG5987
IMAG5991

Visitors come to look at holes in the ground.

IMAG5996

 

My nephew came to check out the digger. This basically proves I have never grown up as I still want a digger to play in just as much as he does.

IMAG5999

 

It’s concrete time!

IMAG6005

 

Footings in

IMAG6004

 

Making sure the back wall is as close to the boundary as possible.

IMAG6082

 

Bricks up to floor level. We spent a good while checking the position of the walls up to the boundary, making sure it was just right as we’ll need every last bit of space we can get to help fit the Mini in.

IMAG6089

 

More concrete. Turns out the old floor was not level but I want a properly level floor so we did the new bit level to the high point of the old floor and I will bring it up to match the new bit with a screed.

IMAG6104

IMAG6106

 

Walls!

IMAG6129

 

Checking what size ramp I’ll need to add.

IMAG6118

IMAG6117
IMAG6119

 

Working out the best plan for doors

IMAG6127

 

We finally found some tiles that are a good match for the original ones, from a reclamation company only an hour away and they were cheaper than any of the ‘old style’ new ones.

This is a mix of the original tiles and what we found so we’re pretty happy.

IMAG6008

 

1100 tiles moved and stacked by me and Jem in the rain.

IMAG6191

 

Walls finished and steels arrived. Unfortunately the guys who made the steels made a small error. Instead of adding 2 x 200mm to the door opening dimension it looks like they added 2 x 20mm. Something had to go wrong eventually. They sorted one the right size within a couple of days though.

IMAG6197

 

Next, the roof…..

Say Something