After one of the side scoops fitted by a previous owner fell off and I removed the other, see here, I thought I’d fit some new ones. This time they would be clear gel coat carbon fibre though which makes them ten times cooler or something like that. 😉
As they arrived, very nicely finished.
I intend for these to stay fitted unlike the previous ones so to help the adhesive I prepared the mating surface of the scoops with some 600 grit wet and dry.
I did not do the same to the paint on the car though! It should be possible to remove the scoops and leave no trace of them having been fitted, if I or any future owner ever wants to.
This is also why I chose to use Tiger Seal to fit the scoops as it should not effect the paint and will be removable.
This stuff can be kinda messy so I masked around the area just to keep any mess or spread of the Tiger Seal to a minimum.
To prepare the area of paint on the car all I did was wipe it down with some isopropanol (IPA).
Next I applied some Tiger Seal to the scoop.
Then fitted the scoop to the car.
The next bit I didn’t take any pictures of as it was messy and I wanted to work quickly but basically it involved lots of IPA and fresh cotton rags, wiping off the excess Tiger Seal inside and outside the scoop until there was no excess at all.
Finally they looked like this with a very nice fit and no excess adhesive.
As I write this the scoops have remained stuck on the side of the car for nearly a year now so hopefully that’s the first of many.