(First posted on MX5 nutz forum in May 2015)
A previous owner had fitted new speakers in the front doors but not all that well. No grille and just screwed to the plastic trim so I thought I’d see if I could do anything better with them.
This is what I found when I removed the speaker. A crossover in the door stuck on a pillow case.
nice soggy pillow case.
so i mounted the crossover properly.
speaker mounted to the inner door skin instead of the floppy plastic trim.
I put some infinity speakers in the back of the evo recently but didn’t need the grilles. I nearly binned them a few days before buying the mazda, glad I didn’t. Looks much better now.
I was pretty sure I could hear an exhaust leak around the manifold somewhere but it was difficult to be sure where so I took it off. Found a leak at the join and a crack at one of the welds.
couple of welds later
rear section had been hitting the drive flange and nearly worn a hole in the pipe so had to patch that up. I think it’s probably due to a previous owners attempt at a home made de-cat pipe meaning the exhaust isn’t quite where it should be. I’ve ordered a proper de-cat pipe which will hopefully fix the problem.
I was looking at buying an induction kit but remembered I had a posh carbon one, from an MG ZS180 I had years ago, in the roof of the garage. So eye’d it up and it looked perfect so made some bits to fit it.
original air box etc off
cardboard template and bits i used to mount the air flow meter.
gasket used as template for the mounting flange
Found a bit of stainless pipe the right diameter.
flipped this bracket upside down as somewhere to mount the air filter to.
another cardboard template and a bit of stainless to make a bracket for the air filter