(First posted on MLR forum in May 2012)
The wheels had some curbing and flaking paint so thought I’d refurb them. I’m not keen on spending £300+ to get someone else to do them. So after spending some time finding the best prices for paint I found that halfords was the way to go so I got down there and came back with 2 cans of each of, primer, anthracite, and PU heavy duty lacquer and some more hardener to use with the filler I already have. After the small discount gained with my mates trade card I was 46 quid lighter. I took the next day off work and got started…..
first two before
and after a good scrub and clean with surfex HD. Hosepipe ban means no pressure washer
The worst of the flaking on one wheel. This required stripping back and filling to bring the level back up to the paint to avoid getting a ‘step’ in the new paint.
some light curbing on the other wheel
I use a grinding wheel on the dremel to tidy up/clean out any curbing and to grind down any high spots where the metal gets pushed out.
The worst wheel filled
one wheel filled, smoothed, filled and smoothed again then rubbed down all over and masked ready to prime. Preparation for painting takes ages!
couple of coats of primer on. I decided it was easier to keep the valve stem cover and cap on and paint them, than it was to mess about trying to mask the valve. I have loads of spare valve covers and caps anyway as I bought 50 of them off ebay a while back.
time for colour
On to the other two
Almost finished. When the lacquer has had time to harden properly I will probably get the 2000 grit wet and dry and finishing polish out to smooth the surface off and remove the slight orange peel, not that it really notices when they’re on the car, I’m probably just being fussy.
I’ve also ordered some more Enkei stickers
On the car
Very happy with how well they’ve gone when the whole job cost me less than 50 quid!