S1 Elise – Engine Cover / Boot Release Cable Repair

Clearly there had been some kind of failure of the cable or what holds the handle end in place at some point in the Elise’s life and there had been a bit of a bodge repair made to it. It looked awful!

IMG_7920


There’s no way a horrible mess like that was going to remain on any car of mine so I took a closer look.

After putting a couple of layers of tape on the sill panel to protect the paint I was able to remove one of the metal plates that had been stuck in there.

IMG_7921


The problem became apparent. The nut on the back of the fixed part of the pull cable had clearly come loose and fallen off meaning the handle end was no longer held in place.

I removed the arch liner so I could find the other side of the cable and the nut that had to be somewhere along the cable.

IMG_7979

IMG_7919


I managed to squeeze my arm up inside the sill and find the nut on the cable.

IMG_7923


A quick interweb search later though and I found that there’s very easy access to the back of the boot release handle, to refit the nut, via the speaker hole.

So out came the speaker…

IMG_7927


…and in went my hand.

IMG_7929


The nut was then easily refitted and tightened up with a 14mm spanner.

IMG_7925


With it fixed properly the second nasty metal plate needed to come out. This was a little tricky which is why I hadn’t removed it when I removed the first one but I was able to pull it out from behind without causing damage to any paintwork.

IMG_7931
IMG_7932
IMG_7933


And here they are.

IMG_7934

They’re obviously just a couple of galvanised steel angle brackets from Wickes that have been flattened to make a couple of plates. What a load of effort for a nasty bodge when all that was required was pulling the speaker out and refitting the nut which no doubt would have been a way quicker and easier repair.

Finally this lot needed tidying up.

IMG_7935


I took some measurements so I could machine up a neat surround for where the cable outer fits to the body.

20180729_171207
IMG_7971


A small slot so it could be fitted over the cable without having to remove the whole thing.

IMG_7973


A little bit of fettling to get a good fit.

IMG_7974


Undo the nut from behind to fit the surround.

IMG_7972


All back together.

IMG_7975
IMG_7976
IMG_7977
IMG_7978

Well that looks a million times better than it did. πŸ™‚

While I had the arch liner out I thought I’d take the opportunity to see the vernier cam pulleys and check the alternator was spinning fine.

IMG_7912
IMG_7904
IMG_7907
IMG_7909
IMG_7911


I also cleaned out all the dirt and stones that collect in the rear arch.

IMG_7915
IMG_7916
IMG_7917
IMG_7918


Found everything to be fine so put it all back together.

IMG_7903
20180801_174108