(First posted on MX5 nutz forum in May 2015)
Having managed to find an early mk1 in such good condition underneath I thought I’d better make an effort to keep it that way so got my wire brushes and chisels out to remove any loose paint or surface rust anywhere I could find it. I used Hydrate 80 on any rust I found then Hammerite paint followed by Hammerite underbody seal with waxoil.
Not a great start. I found loads of mud and stuff growing in the front drivers side wing.
Decided to get in there properly by unbolting the bottom of the wing. No surprise the bolt heads broke off.
So I had to redrill and tap the threads.
Some pics of the areas I stripped of undeseal and paint. Only found very light surface rust which I’m well pleased with.
Same again on the passenger side. This time with the added surprise of a deck of cards!
Undone the bolts with my windy ratchet this time and they came out easy.
What then fell out of the wing
More of the same
Hydrate 80 on
Finally a layer of underseal.
All that took ages! Rear end is next. All a bit boring at the moment but hopefully will get on to some more interesting things soon.