S1 Elise – Fitting Poly Lower Rear Engine Mount Bushes

Having found the exhaust to be leaking at the join between the manifold and downpipe, when I first got the Elise, and noticed the flexi section underneath the sump had occasionally been touching the undertray. I figured the engine mounts might have got a bit tired after 20 years causing a bit more engine movement […]

S1 Elise – Engine Cover / Boot Release Cable Repair

Clearly there had been some kind of failure of the cable or what holds the handle end in place at some point in the Elise’s life and there had been a bit of a bodge repair made to it. It looked awful! There’s no way a horrible mess like that was going to remain on […]

S1 Elise – Gearbox Oil Change

While I had the Elise up on the lift and was working in the area with the induction setup and clutch slave cylinder bracket I thought it was a good opportunity to do a quick gearbox oil change. Apparently this is the stuff to use in the PG1 gearbox. Motul Gear 300 75W90. The drain […]

S1 Elise – Clutch Slave Cylinder Support Bracket

When I was buying all the suspension refresh bits, for some reason I decided to buy one of these. An Elise Parts clutch slave cylinder support bracket. Apparently the original bracket can be a bit weak and bendy. I figured I’d may as well fit it while I had the air filter out the way. […]

S1 Elise – Squeaky Steering Wheel

My Elise came with an OMP steering wheel, fitted by a previous owner. The original Lotus wheel came with the car too but I like this OMP one so have kept it. The only thing I didn’t like was the noise it made when turning the wheel. It wasn’t noticeable in normal driving but when […]

S1 Elise – Window Adjustment

The passenger window didn’t fully close at the front edge with the hardtop on and the door already shut. If you closed the window before shutting the door it was fine but it’s a bit of a pain having to remember to do that before washing the car. So I thought I’d see if there […]

S1 Elise – New Battery

I obviously didn’t start the Elise during the few weeks I spent doing the suspension refresh. This was long enough for the battery to discharge so when I finally got it back on it’s wheels it wouldn’t start. I pulled the battery out and topped up the cells with some de-ionised water as they were […]

S1 Elise – Damaged Fuse Box Wiring Repair

As part of the dismantling for the Elise’s suspension refresh I removed the wheel arch liners. Removing the fuse box from the liner was, predictably, a bit of a fight as the fixings were rusted stuck, see here for some about that. But it was worth the effort as it meant I discovered some wiring […]

S1 Elise – Removing and Refitting Headlamp Covers

The headlamp covers had been fitted with the usual sticky black butyl type adhesive so removing them wasn’t a big problem fortunately. It just requires a little bit of heat to soften it then once I had an edge lifted with my fingers the covers peeled off quite easily. Most of the adhesive was left […]